Best Little Bathroom Art Show on Broad Street

featuring Surprise Shrinky Dink Selfie Portraits by Tiffany Glass Ferreira


Happening THIS First Friday - February 7, 5-9pm

Storefront for Community Design's Bathroom
205 East Broad Street
Richmond, Virginia 23219
Phone:804.322.9556 / Artist Phone: 804.852.9151
Email:info@storefrontrichmond.org / Artist Email: iknowtiffany@gmail.com
Website:  http://www.storefrontrichmond.org

PLEASE CHECK OUT THIS HANDY PARKING MAP/APP and USE mOb + Storefront 205 East Broad St TO PLAN YOUR PARKING/GALLERY WALK ROUTE: http://rvafirstfridays.com/


Who's in the show? Click here. Preview the show on Instagram, here.












FAQ:

Q: What's a Shinky Dink?
A: A Shrinky Dink is a shrinkable plastic often used in children's art classes. After the artist (or child) draws on the surface, the plastic is shrunk in a toaster oven - Watch live video of the shrinky dink portraits in action, here: http://instagram.com/iknowtiffany#



Q: What is a Bathroom Art Show?
It's an art show in a bathroom (an intimate setting for an art show). This is the first Best Little Bathroom Art Show - but there's already another in the works for March. Stay tuned for details (or email me if you're curious). If you have a beautiful creative bathroom, and you would like to host a show - contact iknowtiffany@gmail.com


Q:  What is a Surprise Selfie Portrait?
I'm inspired by the occasional personal insights people share through their Instagram, Twitter and Facebook pages. Often spontaneous images of joy, loneliness, pride, change and personal announcement - these images stick in my memory and create an impression in a passing moment. I chose to draw and interpret these moments to showcase their unique beauty. 

Q: Why did you select these people? (OR WHY ME?)
For the first Best Little Bathroom Show, I've selected 30 striking selfies from various Richmond social media channels. This collection of selfies (and profile pictures) represent people I admire, listen to, learn from, respect or find fascinating. These are not necessarily people I know well, or people I've ever met. Many are complete strangers. I'm simply drawn to their features, composition,  characteristics, emotion or uniqueness.



Q: Why do you use Shrinky Dinks?
A lot of reasons: It's fun. It's a material I can use while I make art with my kids. It's not a dangerous material to use around my dining room table/kitchen (like many other art materials I've enjoyed using). It creates a durable surface that's indestructible and easy to store (i.e. my kids can't destroy it). You can't take it too seriously (for a bathroom art show) (i.e. Lower those judgey art standards and just enjoy something very silly and a little beautiful). It's fun to say - "Shhhhhrinky Dink." (try it.) It literally transforms in the process of creating the art, resulting in unexpected details. No two are alike. It reminds me of childhood. But mostly, really - it's fun.


Q: Can I buy/request/commission a Shrinky Dink Portrait?
Maybe. Email me: iknowtiffany@gmail.com